Updated: Dec 29, 2020
We have been receiving very encouraging reactions from our readers, to our gift ideas for birders so far. Not only are the products high quality, practical and functional, but they are also sourced from companies or brands that we are proud to be associated with, and that have a strong conservation and sustainability drive. Here are the next lot of gift ideas to give that special birding someone in your life.
1) Zartek Two-Way Radios - Calvin Harris
Another fantastic addition to your birding adventures would be a pair of Zartek TX-8 two-way radios or as we all know them as, walkie talkies. If you've ever been birding with more than one vehicle or simply split up your group on foot, you know that communication between parties can be a challenge. This problem is solved with these rugged, long range radios. My first experience in using these were on a two vehicle journey up Sani Pass. The lead vehicle would call in any sightings for us in the second vehicle and vice versa. This added a completely new dimension to the trip as there wouldn't be any missed sightings amongst the party. They can prove vital in emergency situations and are just so fun to use (Roger, roger - over and out).
2) A pair of Hi-tec Altitude Infinity Hiking Boots - Christopher Flannery
If you are looking for a versatile pair of boots, you are definitely going to want to buy these boots. They have many great features:
- They are easy to put on. You do not have to struggle to get the boots on your feet
- They are comfortable. They are not simply built for hiking; they are also comfortable enough for day-to-day wear.
- They are neat enough to be worn when you are at work, but they are rugged enough that you can easily go birding straight after work without having to change them.
- They have amazing grip. You can walk in the bush with the confidence that you will not slip whilst climbing a slippery slope.
- They are breathable. They do not get oppressively hot – they allow your feet breathing room.
- They are waterproof. When you are walking outside and come across a puddle, you do not have to worry about getting your feet wet.
- They are tough enough to handle any amount of rough terrain. You don’t have to worry about them not being tough enough to handle your walk through the bush or hike up the mountain.
- They are light. Unlike other boots I have had, these are so light that they do not feel like bricks on your feet. This is a great plus if you are planning to go on a long hiking trip.